Halva is a Middle Eastern treat made from tahini that is similar to fudge, but much better!
INGREDIENTS1 1/2 c.
kosher salt1 1/2 c.
granulated sugar1/3 c.
vanilla bean (or 1 tsp pure vanilla extract)FOR CARDAMOM PISTACHIO HALVA3/4 c.
toasted pistachios 1/2 tsp.
cardamomFOR CHOCOLATE SWIRLED HALVA3 oz.
roughly chopped chocolate FOR COFFEE HALVA1/4 c.
- Line a 8”-x-8” pan with parchment paper. Place tahini and salt in a large bowl. Place a kitchen towel under the bowl — this will help when stirring.
- In a medium pot over medium heat, combine sugar, water, and vanilla bean seeds. If you are using vanilla extract, add it to the tahini mixture. Give it a stir, then without stirring, bring mixture to 245°. Use a wet pastry brush to wipe down sides of pan as sugar crystals form.
- Once mixture is heated to 245°, carefully and slowly pour syrup into tahini mixture while stirring and continue to stir until fully combined and mixture thickens. Careful to not over mix after it thickens or your halva will be too crumbly.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and smooth top. Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate until chilled, at least 3 hours.
FOR CARDAMOM PISTACHIO VARIATION:
- Add cardamom to tahini mixture. After adding sugar mixture to tahini, stir in ½ cup of pistachios.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan top with remaining ¼ cup pistachios, pressing them in and refrigerate until chilled, at least 3 hours.
FOR CHOCOLATE SWIRLED VARIATION:
- After stirring in sugar mixture to tahini, add chocolate to bowl and let sit for 30 seconds. Gently stir in chocolate leaving streaks.
- Pour into prepared pan and refrigerate until chilled, at least 3 hours.
FOR COFFEE VARIATION:
- Add coffee to tahini with salt and stir until combined.
- Heat and add sugar mixture as directed.